New Jersey Weapons Charges Lawyers
New Jersey federal criminal defense attorneys
At Arseneault & Fassett, LLP, our criminal defense attorneys have the skills and expertise to handle cases involving federal firearms laws. While state law regulates many aspects of gun ownership and use, a number of federal laws also regulate importation, transportation, and ownership of firearms within the United States. The Gun Control Act of 1968 defines certain activities involving firearms as a crime under federal law:
- Importing or transporting firearms across state or national borders without a license to do so
- Shipping a firearm across state or national borders to a person other than a licensed dealer
- Transporting firearms across state lines in some circumstances
- Selling firearms to a resident of a different state
- Providing false information to a manufacturer or dealer in the process of purchasing a firearm
- Manufacturing, importing, or selling armor-piercing ammunition
- Selling a firearm to a person under the age of 18 or selling a firearm other than a shotgun or rifle to a person under the age of 21
- Selling a firearm to a person who is prohibited from owning one by state law
- Selling any machine gun, explosive device, or short-barreled shotgun or rifle
- Selling a firearm or ammunition to a convicted or indicted felon, fugitive, drug addict, adjudicated mental defective, or illegal alien
- Selling a firearm to a dishonorably discharged veteran, a person convicted of domestic violence, or other person restrained from firearm ownership by court order
- Possession of a firearm or ammunition by a convicted or indicted felon, fugitive, drug addict, mental defective, illegal alien, dishonorably discharged veteran, or person convicted of a crime involving domestic violence
A complex law
These are just some of the prohibited activities under the Gun Control Act of 1968. This is a complex law containing many exceptions and qualifications. But an experienced New Jersey federal criminal defense attorney knows the complexities of the Gun Control Act and other federal firearms laws.
Some federal gun crimes, including possession of a firearm by a person prohibited from doing so and providing false information in order to acquire a firearm, can carry a sentence of up to 10 years in federal prison. Other federal firearm crimes can carry a sentence of up to five years. These are serious crimes that require the help of skilled and knowledgeable New Jersey federal criminal defense lawyers.
Contact Arseneault & Fassett, LLP
At Arseneault & Fassett, LLP, our federal criminal defense attorneys in New Jersey are experienced litigators who remain constantly up to date on the latest developments in the ever-changing area of federal firearms law. If you are facing federal firearms charges, you need a criminal defense attorney to advocate on your behalf with professionalism and a vigorous defense of your rights.
The attorneys of Arseneault & Fassett, LLP in Chatham, New Jersey have experience aggressively defending our clients against federal firearms charges. Call our office at 973-635-3366 or contact us online today for a free consultation.